Outdoor Week at Wyoming Catholic College refers to a "break" each semester when students of Sophomore year and above are required to plan, lead, and participate in week-along outdoor and backcountry trips as part of the school's Outdoor Leadership Program. Grades from students' performance throughout their trips form part of each students' grade for the ELP Curriculum each semester.
The Outdoor Weeks are week-long courses where students continue to grow in wonder, virtue, and technical skills. By engaging in different outdoor activities, students are able to experience new parts of God’s creation and push themselves with new physical challenges. The majority of these trips are led by upperclassmen who have been trained in peer leadership. For trips involving specific technical skills, the College will sometimes use a professional instructor. Trips have a cost to students in gas and travel expenses usually around $40 to $80 depending on the trip distance and the activity.
For these trips, students have the opportunity to try a variety of activities throughout the Rocky Mountain Region.
Below is a list of activities and locations that have been offered on previous trips.
- Backpacking: Canyonlands National Park, UT; Glacier National Park, MT; Grand Gulch, UT; Grand Teton National Park, WY; Hanksville, UT; Moab, UT; Rocky Mountain National Park, CO; Teton Wilderness, WY; Uinta Mountains, UT; Wind River Range, WY; Zion National Park, UT
- Canoeing or Sea Kayaking: Green River, UT; Grand Teton National Park, WY*
- Canyoneering: Hanksville, UT; Moab, UT; Zion National Park, UT
- Fishing: Grand Teton National Park, WY; Wind River Range, WY
- Horse Packing: Teton Wilderness, WY
- Ice Climbing: Ouray, CO; Ridgway, CO
- Mountain Biking: Fruita, CO; Moab, UT; Sinks Canyon, WY; Vernal, UT
- Mountaineering: Grand Teton National Park, WY; Mt. Rainier, WA; Wind River Range, WY
- Rock Climbing: City of Rocks, ID; Grand Junction, CO; Grand Teton National Park, WY; Lankin Dome, WY; Moab, UT; Maple Canyon, UT; Sinks Canyon, WY; Split Rock, WY; St. George, UT; Vedauwoo, WY
- Skiing: Casper Mountain, WY; Jackson Hole, WY; Ouray and Ridgway, CO; Pinedale, WY; Red Lodge Mountain, MT; Sinks Canyon, WY; Togwotee Pass, WY
- Whitewater Rafting and Kayaking: Buena Vista, CO; Flaming Gorge, UT; Moab, UT; Owyhee River, OR; Snake River, WY